This statement covers all content available on Lake Scientist and any related content, such as e-mail and RSS feeds. Your use of Lake Scientist indicates your agreement with the policies in these terms.
Accuracy and Objectivity
We make every effort to ensure we provide accurate and unbiased content by rigorously fact checking and keeping information and figures up-to-date as new data emerges.
Correspondence with Lake Scientist Staff
All correspondence with Lake Scientist editors and writers, including attached media, is considered material that can be reproduced, in whole or in part, by Lake Scientist or its affiliates. This does not mean the content belongs to Lake Scientist, but that it is understood all submissions may be published with attribution.
In submitting something to us, you are indicating the content is yours to give to us, does not infringe on a third party’s right — copyright, trademark, privacy rights, etc. — and it is not libelous or otherwise unlawful.
External Links Disclaimer
Lake Scientist often includes links to external, third-party websites. By providing links to other sites, we do not guarantee, approve, or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to Lake Scientist.
We do not control and have no responsibility for the content and/or services found on any external sites. Visitors to Lake Scientist assume complete responsibility in their use of any external sites. Visitors should notify Lake Scientist editors if they have concerns regarding any external links.
Use/Representation of Others’ Content
All material, including statistics and images, are original unless otherwise quoted, referenced, or linked. Lake Scientist, however, often presents images, videos, and summaries of written content generated by third parties. The types of material our staff is authorized to use include:
- Material supplied to our staff or placed into the public domain by public relations and marketing companies for press purposes
- Reader-submitted material, with the implicit indication the person submitting the material owns the material and has the right to give us permission to reproduce it
- Material published on Flickr or other public photo / video sites with licenses granted under Creative Commons, with attribution in accordance with the CC license granted in each case
- Material that we believe to be covered by the Fair Use Doctrine
If you believe material we have posted does not comply with these standards or if you think we have published content that infringes your copyright, please contact us and we will gladly address your concerns.
To allow us to respond to these infringement concerns most efficiently, please contact us with the URL for the page including the material and why you believe the content to be an infringement.
To make our comments useful and interesting, the following guidelines have been established for their use
- Do not post comments that are threatening, harassing, defamatory, or libelous.
- Do not intentionally make false or misleading statements.
- Do not post material that infringes copyright.
- Keep all comments relevant to the entry on which they are being posted.
- While an effort will be made to ensure all comments on this site are compliant with high legal and ethical standards and are conducive to healthy discourse, Lake Scientist does not accept responsibility for information posted in the comments.
Please note that once you post a comment you will not have the ability to remove it and it will become part of the public discourse. Our policy is not to remove a comment unless we believe it to be in violation of the terms listed above
However, Lake Scientist reserves the right to remove comments entirely at its discretion, including for alleged violations of these terms or legal rights.